8.12.11

Knock off for less! Embellished Flower Tee

Hey there fashionistas!  Today I will be showing you how to re-create this adorable top from Tea Collection!

I love the gathered neck detail on this top, but for the sake of ease and price tag, I just picked up a solid long sleeve tee from my local thrift store.  Actually I found 4 super soft tees, same size from the Children's Place for 99 cents each...pretty hard to beat!


Instead of copying the "TEA" shirt exactly, I thought it would be really fun to integrate different types of fabric flowers.  I started out with some scraps of fabric I had in my craft closet.  Of course this is an advantage I have from years of sewing, but I have seen fabric scraps lots for sale on ebay or garage sales, etc. and they really do come in handy!  You can also check out the fat quarter section of your fabric store or most places usually have a remnant section as well which is usually discounted.
I wanted the colors to really pop, so I ended up with 4 solid colors in varying weights and textures, and one print.  The lime green faux boise wood pattern is especially sentimental to me because this scrap was left over from the crib bedding I made for my baby girl!  See now I am recycling special memories too...love it!

Check out my next post All About the Flowers to see how I created the fabric flowers out of my scrap fabric pieces.  I created 5 flowers for this project and made sure to vary the sizes for visual interest.  I also chose to use the sewing method for these flowers, so that they would not fall apart in the washer.  Once they were completed I played around with the placement a bit, and then pinned them down around the neckline of the tee. 

To secure them to the tee, once again I used a needle and thread, and carefully stitched each flower down.  Taking care only to stitch the felt circle the flower is attached to.  It is also important to tie off after each flower is stitched in place, as opposed to sewing them all down with one length of thread.  This will prevent the shirt from stretching, and the threads may break when you try to put it over your cutie's head.
(inside of garment to show stitching)

I embellished two of the flowers...one with a coordinating button, and one with a large craft rhinestone, which I just hot glued on.  She wore this top today, and I got a ton of compliments on it.  I bet no one would believe it only cost me 99 cents and about 45 min of work!



No comments:

Post a Comment